Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Uncle Monte's guitar

Here is my first work done on a guitar.  This one belonged to my wife Mallory's uncle Monte.  It is an old japanese starter guitar with the name "Audition" on it.  We found this one in Mallory's grandma's house in a crappy gig bag hiding under a bed.  I figured it would be a cool project to get in playable condition again.  This one was in really rough shape when I took it out.  All kinds of cosmetic issues and it was missing a couple strings.  Not really too much work for this one.  Gave it a good rub down all around to try to clean up the gunk on it, especially on the reflective pickguard.  The pots were really noisy so I twisted the shit out of em to clean em up and removed the knobs and tightened everything including the jack. Was really careful with the knobs.  You can see some of the pickguard and knobs/jack below.
Then I went about re stringing the guitar.  Removed the old rusted out strings and strung it up with some flat wounds.
Then finally I went about dealing with the weird bridge.  For some reason, on this guitar the bridge saddles are movable to adjust string spacing.  Doesn't make sense to me but hey, it's old.  So I found the center line, then measured to get an ideal string spacing from string to string. 
Plugged it in and it is good to go. Not the best sounding guitar but kinda cool, especially with the flats.  Did a little setup and it is playing half way decent. 
5.  Uncle Monte's Audition Guitar
- Cleaned
- Cleaned and tightened knobs and jack
- Restrung with Flats.
- Setup

No comments:

Post a Comment